2020 has given us an abundance of reasons to worry: a struggling global economy, personal financial hardships, community reactions to covid-19, personal health concerns, politics, social unrest amid racial tensions, relational challenges . . . the list could go on and on. There’s a climate of discontent in the world around us, and often within our own hearts as well.
In light of this reality, we decided to dust off a book we read together as part of our women’s ministry many years ago at KBC. We felt strongly that the timeless truths in this book are ones we need to hear over and over again, especially at this season. As we step into a new year, we hope this book will help us all to reorient our hearts and lives around the One who holds everything in his hands. This book is a call to live your life with purpose and faith. It is a call to find contentment, not in your circumstances, or relationships, or roles but rather in the God who is wiser than you can even imagine and who loves you more than you can ever comprehend. It is a call to lay down your worries, to let go of finding hope in the “what if’s” and “if only’s” of your life, and to entrust it all to Jesus. This is a life-long process, a journey God calls us all to embark on, and we invite you to join us as we walk this road to contentment together.
- We will meet for 7 weeks (starting the week of January 24 and ending the week of March 7)
- Like we did this last fall, we will meet in smaller groups in a variety of formats designed to meet each of us where we’re at in relation to meeting in person or online. When you register, you will be asked to choose from several days/times, and to indicate what meeting options you are open to (options will include the spectrum from “online-only” to “in person without any restrictions”), and we will make every effort to put you in a group that matches your selections.
- Each week, you will be emailed a short video to orient you to that week’s chapters before you read. The reading for each week should take about 30 minutes (depending on how quickly you read). The book includes a Bible study you can also do during the week if you want to dig deeper and a recommended memory verse for each chapter.
- It’s important that you register as soon as possible so that we can get everyone organized into groups ahead of time. (You also have the option to register to receive the information and videos, but not join a group and just read it on your own if that’s best for you at this time.) Registration will close on January 17th.
- There are a few different versions of the book, so in order for us to have the same one, we will order books that you can pick up at church or have dropped at your home. Let us know when you register if you already have a copy or need one ordered for you.
Calm my Anxious Heart: A Woman’s Guide to Finding Contentment by Linda Dillow